Saturday, March 24, 2012

Miyajima: part 1

I will attempt to not be too fanatical when I talk about Miyajima. I must admit though it is one of the prettiest places in Japan (actually voted as one of 3 most scenic places in Japan). Miyajima is actually an island located just outside of Hiroshima.
The whole island is considered sacred so Itsukushima Shrine and it's torii gate were built over the water. When I first arrived it was low tide and everyone had wandered out onto the mud flats to take pictures.


This photo might ruin the effect of the shrine where at high tide the shrine appears to be floating.
Most people make a day trip out of Miyajima and I am going to go ahead and say this is a terrible idea. Stay at least one night in a ryokan (traditional Japanese Inn) - it's worth it. Kawaguchi Ryokan in Miyajima was my first (and favorite) ryokan experience. I had an amazing dinner and breakfast as well as a private Japanese bath. My favorite part though was the peaceful feeling that descended on the island when all the other day trippers left.
also you get to sleep in a yukata! you will most likely look better than me in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment