Monday, March 19, 2012

Hirakata-shi: relaxushimasu

Hirakata-shi by girl from finito
Hirakata-shi, a photo by girl from finito on Flickr.
My friend Virginia, who joined me for Jidai-Matsuri and Kurama no Hi Matsuri, teaches English at a university in Hirakata-shi just outside of Osaka. Actually it's a ways outside of Osaka, you have to travel there by bus from Hontoni, the closest suburb (note this is fairly rare - most places have a train station).
Let me just put in a plug for Japanese transportation. Not only the trains but the busses all run to the minute - so much so that you can tell you are at the correct track by the departure time. It is a marvel to behold.
I spent all day in Kyoto on Friday as Virginia was teaching and the plan was to hang out Saturday and go hiking in the mountains. This plan fell though as she had to work. It turned out to be a really enjoyable day for me though - I caught up on dumping my photos off of my camera, postcard writing and sketching.
Hirakata-shi consists of a Lawsons, 7/11, small shrine and a post office. I wandered away from the "shopping" and ended up at this pond/reservoir. They were burning fields which accounts for the haze in the photos. It was a really lovely place to stop and recharge.
Hirakata-shi by girl from finito
Hirakata-shi, a photo by girl from finito on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment