Thursday, August 14, 2008

Caribana Festival... Parade Day



1st sight, originally uploaded by girl from finito.
Caribana - the Caribbean cultural festival is a big thing around these parts. Living in Toronto for almost 4 years now it's a little embarrassing that I have never checked it out. I have heard a few bad things about the parade, it's history of violence and the unruly crowds but Connie and I decided to brave it - just to see what was happening.
It was busy and loud and I got soaked on the way over. The weird thing was for being the huge event the parade route was all but impossible to find online and there was no information on when the parade started and where to go. We just followed the crowd (thankfully connie had arrived earlier and sussed things out). The barricades proved another problem - so high that it was impossible to get a good view of what was happening.
I must admit, I was a little disappointed.
But the colours were cool and fun and I would go again, just with lower expectations and later in the day.



caribana costumes, originally uploaded by girl from finito.

No comments:

Post a Comment