Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kyoto: Shojin food

Izusen: Shojin Food by girl from finito
Izusen: Shojin Food, a photo by girl from finito on Flickr.
Ah food! Kyoto has some pretty amazing places to eat .. what am I saying?!? all of Japan has great food.
Kyoto is unique in the fact that being a land locked city and with a large population of Buddhist monks a vegetarian cuisine developed. Part of my walking tour included a stop for traditional Shojin food. the little red bowls stacked into each other to make a pagoda.
All the food is local and seasonal.. from what I can remember chestnut, black beans, tempura, rice with mushrooms, miso soup, daikon, various pickled vegetables. Sweet wine (plum ??) Ah! I wish I could have remembered more.
Oh! and fresh tofu - I read somewhere that it's a specialty in the north east of the city (due to the abundance of clean water used to make the tofu)
Izusen: Shojin Food by girl from finito
Izusen: Shojin Food, a photo by girl from finito on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment